How to Get a Writing Critique

So you have just finished writing a very wonderful piece and you want another writer to look at it and offer structural and copy-editing advice? And the problem is where and whom can you send your work to? You're not alone. But let's face it. Everyone is busy. Most writers have day jobs and family and church functions all scrambling for their attention.

There are two ways you can get critiques.

1) Pay professional editors.
2) Join a critique group.

If you're young and new to writing, I will suggest you take option 2. Topnotch critiques are essential to any writers career. Even established writers like Chimamanda Adichie and Binyavanga Wainaina belonged to the critique group on Zoetroupe.

I have been a member of the highly regarded  Internet Writing Workshop for three years and counting. It's the best thing that has happened to my career. Without the nopnotch advice and critique I got for free, I might not have published Finding Love Again. I receive five to ten excellent critiques for every novel chapter and/or story I submit. And the good thing is, these critiques come from writers domiciled in different parts of the world.

The truth is reciprocity is required; and your critiques also help improve your writing.

Are you interested in joining the Internet Writing Workshop critique group, go to their Website to see how the application process works. Be sure to view their terms and conditions.

How do you get critiques? Leave suggestions in the comments section.

For those who might be interested in a one-to-one mentorship, send me an email and I'll get in touch.

Labels: , , , ,